Date:      Wed, 27 Aug 1997 10:59:31 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "David R. Rippel" <root@shadowsphere.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   FreeBSD -> Crywnr DOS PLIP Link

I've had a bad time right from the beginning with FreeBSD PLIP, but I'm
not about to give up ;). I've successfully linked two FreeBSD 2.2-releng
machines using 'ifconfig 10.0.0.1 10.0.0.2' and vice versa with no
problems, getting a sustained data transfer rate of around 72k/s, I was
quite impressed. I then attempted to link the same FreeBSD 2.2-releng box
to a dos 6.22 machine running crywnr's plip.com on a packet vector
'plip.com 0x60 7 0x3bc' and using NCSA's telnet 'telbin.exe' for hosting
services. On the FreeBSD machine i issued 'ifconfig inet link0 10.0.0.1
10.0.0.1 mtu 1024 netmask 255.255.255.0 arp' and the lp0 interface/routing
came up successfully. I was able to send icmp/udp/etc to the DOS machine
with no problems. I could begin ftp sessions, however, they would jam up
once the TCP datagrams began to flow. Basically, TCP wasn't responding at
all. I couldn't get any telnet traffic accross the link. Upon further
investigation, 'netstat -p ip' revealed that FreeBSD was rejecting the DOS
box's TCP packets with a 'incorrect version'. However, both machines ue
IPv4, so I don't see where this is the problem. According to
/usr/src/sys/i386/isa/lpt.c, a Crywnr --> DOS link is supported with the
link0 flag, which I did use. Well, that's only about half true. I mailed
phk@freebsd.org about this, however, he's much to busy to consider my
problem unfortunatly. I heard from the varions #freebsd channels that many
people have had a similar experience such as this. One person suggested it
may be a problem with compression, though I'm not sure about the relevance
of this seeing where the link0 flag comes in. Anyways, I ask any of you
whom have any advice whatsoever to offer on this to reply, and if you've
had a successful Crywnr (DOS) --> FreeBSD link, please tell me how you
accomplished it in great detail. It would be most appreciated. Just for
the record, I have attempted this same link but with a Linux 2.0.30
machine to the same DOS machine with success using 'ifconfig plip0 up
10.0.0.1 pointopoint 10.0.0.2 arp; route add plip0'. So I do know that the
problem is on the FreeBSD side, at least from what I can tell. Anyways,
please give me any and all of your input, I've already scanned around some
of the previous messages on the freebsd-questions list and gone on some
rather pointless searches accross netland just to discover there is very
little information on this subject. Linux's PLIP-HOWTO proved useless,
since, afterall, it relates to Linux :P. lp(4) gave me a little better
understanding of the (-)link0 flag, but that's about it.

---
David R. Rippel
ShadowSphere System Administrator
(operator@shadowsphere.com)