Date:      Fri, 03 Sep 1999 16:23:00 -0600
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
Cc:        "David E. Cross" <crossd@cs.rpi.edu>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Tulip device driver question

Jason Thorpe wrote:

> On Wed, 01 Sep 1999 15:46:40 -0600
>  Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com> wrote:
>
>  > Is this a real tulip, or one of the recent clones?  Bill Paul has written a
>  > number of drivers for various near clones of the Tulip, none of which work
>  > quite like the Tulip (of course).
>  >
>  > See, for instance, the al, ax, mx, pn, vr, and wb drivers.  ;^)
>                                           ^^
>                  Especially this one.. it's not a Tulip clone :-)

Oh?  vr(4) disagrees:

     The VIA Rhine chips use bus master DMA and have a software interface de-
     signed to resemble that of the DEC 21x4x "tulip" chips.

I found the above list by grepping for "-i tulip" in /usr/src/sys/pci.  It
is still a mystery to me why others don't do that before embarrassing them-
selves on a public mailing list...

http://softweyr.com/                                           wes@softweyr.com