Date:      Tue, 08 May 2001 08:51:40 +0200
From:      Gernot Hueber <hueber@riic.at>
To:        Brandon Fosdick <bfoz@glue.umd.edu>
Cc:        Peter Ulrich Kruppa <root@pukruppa.de>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Symbolic Calculus on FreeBSD

matlab, scilab (and octave which I don't know) are numerical tools. Their
capabilties of solving equations, integrals
are very limited.Nevertheless these tools are perfectly at numerical
calculations, working with matrices, etc.

Gernot

Brandon Fosdick schrieb:

> Peter Ulrich Kruppa wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > is any *free* program known to run on FreeBSD that can do symbolic
> > calculus: solving equations, deviations, integrals, etc. (like Maple, but
> > no graphic capabilities needed - gnuplot will do for me) ?
> >
> > jacal is said to do that, but I have no idea how to get it installed.
> >
> > Thanx for your answers.
>
> Octave is a Matlab clone that should do what you want. I think SciLab
> might be a possibility but I haven't looked at it.

Dipl.-Ing. Gernot Hueber
Institut für Integrierte Schaltungen
Freistädter Strasse 315/2
A-4040 Linz