Date:      Sat, 17 Mar 2001 15:42:13 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
To:        dillon@earth.backplane.com (Matt Dillon)
Cc:        jhb@FreeBSD.ORG (John Baldwin), arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Proposal for the CPU interrupt API

> :and by otherwise I included comments in code.  Take this one for example:
> :>From sys/i386/isa/if_sr.c
> :        /*
> :         * XXX Disable all interrupts for now. I think if you are using the
> :         * dmac you don't use these interrupts.
> :         */
> :        SRC_PUT8(hc->sca_base, msci->ie0, 0);
> :        SRC_PUT8(hc->sca_base, msci->ie1, 0x0C);
> :
> :writting 0x0C to msci->ie1 does NOT disable all interrupts!!!
>
>     Well, those XXX's seem to indicate that the author wasn't so sure about
>     what he was doing either.  Quite a useful comment, I think!

The XXX is more than likely with regards to the ``I think if you are...''
part of the comment.  (And it is wrong about that as well, you need to
use most of the interrupts, even when using the dmac, to deal with things
like DMA underruns and overruns.)

--
Rod Grimes - KD7CAX @ CN85sl - (RWG25)               rgrimes@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net