Date:      Wed, 23 May 2001 08:53:08 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tom Samplonius <tom@sdf.com>
To:        Sys Admin <admin@cb21.co.jp>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD as Backup Router for a CISCO router

On Thu, 24 May 2001, Sys Admin wrote:

> >   It is probably more important to know what interfaces the router has,
> > and what kind of router it is.
>
>  Sorry! I should have given more details. Router is a Cisco 2514 with 2
> ethernet interfaces.
>
>  What do you mean by what kind of router ? ( Pardon my ignorance as I am new to
> dealing with routers).

  As in model number.  A Cisco 2514 is the lowest end Cisco with dual
10Mbps ethernet interfaces you can get.  A FreeBSD box with dual NICs can
easily exceed the performance of a 2514, especially since can you use fast
ethernet.

> > > 1.  Is it possible to have FreeBSD router work in parallel with cisco
> > > router ? What I would like to have the FreeBSD router up and running
> > > in case cisco router fails without manual intervention as I am staying
> > > far away from the network. (using routed)
> >
> >   Not likely.  Automatic takeover of a gateway IP and MAC by a standby
> > router is possible.  But Cisco uses propietary HSRP for that, while
> > FreeBSD has support for VRRP.
>
>  OK. This more or less means that I have to be there in person to activate the
> backup router. Right ?

  Pretty much.  You could run a routing protocol on the routers to
announce themselves as gateways to your hosts.  If the router stops, it
will stop annoucing itself as a gateway.

> > > 2. What is the better solution for a backup router ? Natd or routed ?
> >
> >   Apples and oranges.  routed doesn't do routing, it routing protocol
> > daemon for RIPv1 and RIPv2.  natd does network address translation.  You
> > don't need routed if you don't need RIP.  You don't natd if you don't need
> > NAT.
>
>  Bit confused here. The reason I put natd is because when the router gave
> problems, as a quick fix, I configured a gateway with natd and bridging. It
> worked quite well. Is it a recommended alternative to a router ?
>
>  I received a personal mail recommending to use gated. Planning to study that
> soon.

  It depends on your network.  Obviously a bridge and a router working in
completely different ways.

  gated is a routing protocol daemon like routed.  It doesn't actually do
routing either.  The FreeBSD kernel does the routing.

> >   Depends on the router it is replacing.  Depends on the traffic levels.
> > What kind of router is it?  And what is the maximum Mbps and pps that is
> > must be able to handle?
>
>  I really haven't done any traffic analysis. But the traffic most probably
> falls between low to medium.

  Since it is a Cisco 2514, I would say it is probably under 5Mbps
sustained.

> Thanks.
>
> Tad.

Tom