Date:      Tue, 16 Mar 2004 12:52:25 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Dukemaster <dukemaster@hardwareelite.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IPv6 Tunnel

--+pHx0qQiF2pBVqBT

On Tue, Mar 16, 2004 at 12:13:26AM -0500, Dukemaster wrote:
> At my first co-location my FreeBSD server has a native IPv6 connection
> and a /64 subnet
> I have a second co-location with a different isp, that doesn't have
> IPv6.
>=20
> Is it possible to have my first FreeBSD box act as a tunnel to my second
> box, and get it on IPv6 over the existing IPv4 connection?

Yes -- that's possible, but perhaps not ideal as all of the IPv6
packets from the net for co-lo2 will first have to go to co-lo1 and
back again.

The way I'd configure this is to set up a gif(4) IPv6 over IPv4 tunnel
(as per RFC 2893) between the machine at co-lo1 and the machine at
co-lo2.  You can do that entirely by fiddling with entries in
/etc/rc.conf:

    gif_interfaces=3D"gif0"
    gifconfig_gif0=3D"${thisIP4} ${thatIP4}"
    ipv6_enable=3D"YES"
    ifconfig_gif0_alias0=3D"inet6 ${thisIP6}/64"

where ${thisIP4} is the IPv4 network interface address on the local
machine, ${thatIP4} is the address of the machine in the other co-lo
and ${thisIP6} is the IPv6 address you assign to the the local
system. Do the same deal on the other system, where obviously, which
addresses are local and which are remote will be the other way round.

On the machine without the IPv6 connectivity, you'll additionally
need:

    ipv6_defaultrouter=3D"-interface gif0"

and on the co-lo1 machine you may need to add a static route telling
it how to reach the machine at co-lo2 -- see the section on
'ipv6_static_routes' in /etc/default/rc.conf.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20
                                                      Savill Way