Date:      Fri, 31 Oct 1997 23:26:21 -0600
From:      Tony Overfield <tony@dell.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, jamil@trojanhorse.ml.org (Jamil J. Weatherbee)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: >64MB

At 02:13 AM 11/1/97 +0000, Terry Lambert wrote:
>> Why does the bootloader only report 64MB if you have >64MB
>> you know right above the boot: prompt?
>
>It reports what the BIOS tells it to report.
>
>It reports less because the BIOS lies.

That's not right.  I'd like to see your patches to make
the BIOS honest.

FreeBSD simply makes the wrong BIOS call.  The particular
BIOS call made by the boot loader is limited to 16 bits
worth of Kilobytes.  To make matters worse, the kernel
eventually ignores that answer in preference to the lower
16 bits of the actual value stored in CMOS, which is never
better and often worse, as it truncates the most
significant bits.