Date:      Sun, 12 Apr 1998 21:34:03 -0700
From:      Don Wilde <dwilde1@ibm.net>
To:        Frank Pawlak <fpawlak@execpc.com>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG, jkh@time.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: Promoting FreeBSD - the user's piece of the action.

Frank Pawlak wrote:

> As for me, my background has primarily been in project management,
> consulting, and tangible and intangible sales all in computer related
> activities.  I am self taught in UNIX and by no means an expert. Thus I
> am volunteering to work as one of the coordinators of project
> positioning or what the hell ever we end up calling this phase of the
> project.
>
> Jordan, I understand that you are very busy, but I think that we'll
> need you as an informal advisor at least untill we get on our feet on
> the  ground a little bit.  Your name fills the slot as the project PR
> guy and am sure you have strong feelings as to project direction, image
> etc., so I defer to you on some of these issues.  I have read the
> information on the project from the web site and have a feel for some
> of this stuff.  I would invite all volunteers, especially those
> writting press releases and advertising things to digest this and pass
> it on to those people that you are working with.
>
> Appears to me that there are many issues that need to be addressed
> before we go running off half cocked an waisting motion through
> duplication of effort and so forth.  At this point we have resources:
> our time, a top notch develop team, the best version of UNIX -- oops
> sorry SCO I didn't say that -- and a web site with much good
> information, and there are commercial publications devoted to Berkeley
> UNIX and greg's The Complete FreeBSD.

And these incredible mailing lists. Usenet is a zoo, but these -- I
think -- are the key to FreeBSD's success. Start a
freebsd-plug@freebsd.org list, and maybe Jordan and DG and some of the
other core guys can give us some insight as to how they run core from
all over the world.

> There are legal and private entities that we have to interface with.  I
> believe that FreeBSD is incorporated as is Walnut Creek CDROM  We don;t

I think it is very important for FreeBSD, Inc.'s incorporation to be
switched to 501c3, not just so we who contribute can get a writeoff, but
it's in a legal way kind of like releasing your source code. It's also a
vehicle for encouraging _more_ contributions, perhaps providing more of
what Greg's thinking of without promising anything except what we've
got... the best thing in x86 computing.

> Along with this I am asking those that have posted their ideas to come
> forth and at least set out their skills inventory and what they can and
> would like to do.  Time commitments at this point at least are open to
> your individual capabilities.  I have retained your messages as some of
> you had already appeard to commit to certain actions.  That response is
> extremely encouraging.

Awwww, gee. Big Bro da boss be watching. Yes, teacher, I wrote my
assignment.

> So far we have a great start.  Yes we do need more help.  You folks
> that live in countries other than the United States your help is
> especially important.  You will be helping the FreeBSD project that is
> true, but you will also be spreading the word to your countryman who
> hunger for technology, that FreeBSD is the best platform to use to
> learn system software, provide internet access service, and as a
> development platform.  Documentation on how to install and setup an
> operating system needs to be written in native languages.  Your efforts
> will improve the lives of people all over the world through helping
> them to obtain and learn to use modern technology.

Guys like Ruslan and Amancio and so many others add a life to this
project that I see makes it one of the best things America has _ever_
done for the world. <libertarian plug>And it has nothing to do with the
government!!!</plug> It no longer belongs to America. It is of the
world.

				Don