Date:      Tue, 13 Sep 2005 21:32:36 +0200
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Erik_N=F8rgaard?= <norgaard@locolomo.org>
To:        Derrick MacPherson <dm@mainframe.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: traffic accounting.

Derrick MacPherson wrote:
> I am going to pop a machine (bridged interfaces) in tween our LAN and
> our firewall (pix) and am wanting to know what people would recommend
> for IP accounting, it would be great to have a web based output to show
> what traffic, from/to what hosts so the boss is happy to look at it.

You can create a firewall that just passes everything and counts it.

If you're not going to block anything you don't need statefull
firewalling and pf should do just fine. Otherwise ipfilter will do
better. I have done this some year ago with ipfilter

Last time I looked at accounting for pf the problem was to get all
packets counted, both ways, with statefull filtering. The problem was
that the packet would only be counted when matched against a rule, and
that would only happen when the state was created, this is not a problem
with non-statefull filtering since all packets will traverse the ruleset
every time.

It may have changed, or there may be some other ways arround. I have
heard about flowd but never tried to use it.

That said, pf has some features I think your boss would (or should) like
more than flashy web pages: Queueing so you can priotize your boss
trafic over everyone else - ofcourse, you installing it can put yourself
first in the queue :-)

Cheers, Erik

--
Ph: +34.666334818                           web: http://www.locolomo.org