Date:      Wed, 04 Apr 2007 06:49:31 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Firas Kraiem <fkraiem@free.fr>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sendmail and hostname

--------------enig22F1996322833B6D83103984

Firas Kraiem wrote:
> Greetings
>=20
> I get this message when booting my FBSD home webserver :
>=20
>      Apr  3 22:23:55 alice sm-mta[509]: My unqualified host name (alice=
)
>      unknown; sleeping for retry
>=20
> From what I've understood after a bit of searching, the answer lies pro=
bably=20
> in the /etc/hosts file. So here goes :
>=20
>      127.0.0.1               localhost alice
>      192.168.1.2             alice
>      192.168.1.3             bob
>=20
> Any help would be much appreciated.

sendmail is trying to work out your fully qualified domain name.  In
short, it wants a name with dots in.  You can just invent a name --
alice.local for example -- and your own sendmail will be happy, but
ones it connects to for mail delivery may be less so.  That may or may
not be a problem depending on your local setup.  Or else you can get
a name properly registered in the DNS and use that instead.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20
                                                      Flat 3