Date:      Tue, 5 Jan 1999 14:43:27 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@auss2.alcatel.com.au>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Y2K, Y 2038?

:> overly concerned :-).
:>
:> There was a very similar discussion some months ago regarding the
:> timestamp field in the inode (on -hackers from memory).  I don't
:> think the discussion went anywhere fruitful.
:
:Part of that discussion was concerned with the fact that, correctly or
:incorrectly, people use negative time_t's.  This would break that for
:a comparatively minor benefit.

    It isn't so much that people use negative time_t's as it is people
    comparing time_t's and assuming a *signed* result.  If time_t is
    unsigned, the result will be unsigned.  This screws up relative
    compares in a lot of legacy code.

    Neither can time_t simply magically become 64 bits on systems where
    it was 32 bits before - that would be a disaster.  A lot of software
    stores time_t in binary form in databases and such - for all sorts of
    reasons.  It would be a disaster an order of magnitude greater then
    the mess that occured when 4.4 first started using 64 bit file offsets
    and a lot of legacy software didn't compare because it manually extern'd
    system functions rather then #include the correct header file.

    I would prefer NOT making *two* hacks to the time system.  We should
    just move to 64 bit 'ltime_t' or something like that.  It is not
    a big deal.  Then we'll have 30 years to translate the legacy time_t's
    useage into the new ltime_t useage.

						-Matt

:Greg
:--
:See complete headers for address, home page and phone numbers
:finger grog@lemis.com for PGP public key
:
:with "unsubscribe freebsd-current" in the body of the message
:

    Matthew Dillon  Engineering, HiWay Technologies, Inc. & BEST Internet
                    Communications & God knows what else.
    <dillon@backplane.com> (Please include original email in any response)