Date:      07 Jan 1999 22:03:18 -0500
From:      "Robert V. Baron" <rvb@cs.cmu.edu>
To:        Jos Backus <Jos.Backus@nl.origin-it.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: testmain -> ficl ?

Jos Backus <Jos.Backus@nl.origin-it.com> writes:

> Since we have it in the tree anyway, would it make sense to always
> build/install testmain and install it as, say, /usr/bin/ficl? Perhaps that
> would encourage some people to start fiddling with it, e.g. to enhance the
> /boot stuff?
A few suggestions:
  How about a "cat" or "more" command.

  How about a "kldloaded" predicate.  Suppose I want to load the coda
  coda.ko iff I don't have a kernel with it built in.  But then when
  coda is in the kernel it is not an klm; it is the kernel.  So the simplest
  way to do this is to rather have an "nm command" which returns the
  address and a testable predicate value indicating whether the lookup
  succeeded.  I'd type:
	(if (not (nm "coda_vnodeop_entries"))
	    (load "coda"))
  [obviously, I don't speak forth ... yet]