Date:      Fri, 28 Feb 2003 12:04:45 -0800
From:      Joe Kelsey <joek@mail.flyingcroc.net>
To:        Tilman Linneweh <tilman@arved.de>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: WARNING: portupgrade considered harmful

Tilman Linneweh wrote:

> This is IMHO not a fault of portupgrade but how bsd.port.mk detects LIB_DEPENDS.
> It checks if the library is in ld's path. This works as long as this path does not
> contain directories with libraries not installed by ports.

I prefer to think of it as a fundamental misdesign in rtld-elf.  The
basic problem is that rtld-elf is more than happy to load two different
libraries wit virtually the same name at once, leading to massive
errors.  FreeBSD's rtld-elf is the *only* runtime loader that I have
ever encountered which allows this broken behavior.  Apparantly, Polstra
believes that there exist a situation where loading two instances of a
library or two versions of a library is *not* an error.  If rtld-elf did
not do this, it would catch or prevent most of these errors in the first
place.

/Joe