Date:      Sat, 27 Oct 2001 17:28:39 +0200
From:      Volker Stolz <stolz@hyperion.informatik.rwth-aachen.de>
To:        "Jose M. Alcaide" <jose@we.lc.ehu.es>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: login(1) now forks the shell instead of exec'ing it ?

In local.freebsd-stable, you wrote:
> Anyway, I am a bit sad after losing the traditional login(1) behavior. :-)

You're right, it even makes things harder to understand (& verify).
There do exist other languages which will allow you to do something similar
to calling "login", but returning to your code afterwards. But I'm really
oversimplyfying things and you surely don't want to use these programming
languages for OS binaries (yet!) :-)

OTOH, how about passing on PAM-credentials on to login and telling it
via a switch to close PAM on termination? Of course this would imply
some magic, I'm sure.

[F'Up to -hackers. Maybe someone has a flash of inspiration?]
--
Volker Stolz * stolz@i2.informatik.rwth-aachen.de * PGP + S/MIME