Date:      Mon, 3 Jan 2005 17:49:25 -0500
From:      Louis LeBlanc <FreeBSD@keyslapper.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Postfix + SASL issue

On 01/03/05 04:13 PM, artware sat at the `puter and typed:
> Hello,
>
> I seem to be having some issue with saslauthd and postfix on 5.3-R...
> When I try to send mail out, it fails, and puts this in
> /var/log/maillog:
>
> Jan  4 05:56:17 n00330 postfix/smtpd[8103]: warning: SASL
> authentication failure: cannot connect to saslauthd server: No such
> file or directory
> Jan  4 05:56:17 n00330 postfix/smtpd[8103]: warning: SASL
> authentication failure: Password verification failed
>
> It's weird, because it was working before, and then I tweaked
> something, and it broke. I've recompiled postfix and
> cyrus-sasl2-saslauthd, to no avail. Make a make deinstall broke
> something along the way?

What did you tweak?  I do this ALL THE TIME, and it almost always
comes back to my tweak.  Ok, not almost; always.

> I don't even know what to suspect. I think it might be a permissions
> issue, since saslauthd is running -- but I can't be sure. Does this
> sound familiar to anyone?

I'd probably start with the tweak you made.  I could be wrong, but the
errors you provided may also indicate that your saslauthd daemon
wasn't even running, possibly because of an upgrade or config change
that made it fail to (re)start.  Silly mistake, I know, but I've done
it more than once.

Finally, check the following configs in main.cf:

smtp_sasl_auth_enable = yes
smtp_sasl_tls_security_options = $var_smtp_sasl_opts
smtp_sasl_tls_verified_security_options = $var_smtp_sasl_tls_opts
smtpd_sasl_application_name = smtpd
smtp_sasl_password_maps = hash:/usr/local/etc/postfix/sasl_passwd

BTW, the values there are what I have configured; these values may or
may not be valid for your setup.

HTH
Lou
--
Louis LeBlanc               FreeBSD@keyslapper.org
http://www.keyslapper.org                     ԿԬ

QOTD:
  "I've just learned about his illness.  Let's hope it's nothing trivial."