Date:      22 Apr 2000 22:50:22 -0700
From:      asami@freebsd.org (Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami)
To:        doc@freebsd.org
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Building a porters handbook

 * From: Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>

 * -doc, -ports
 *
 * [ FU to -doc ]

(I don't read -doc...)

 * Per an earlier discussion on -doc, I'd like to pull section 4.4 of the
 * Handbook ("Making a port yourself") out of the Handbook and in to a
 * new "Porter's Handbook".

That sounds like a good idea.

Please put a link to the new handbook in the original handbook though,
there are many documents (including some printed ones) that refer to
"http://www.FreeBSD.org/handbook/porting.html" and we don't want
people who go there to get "not found".

 * It's believed that most readers of the Handbook won't be creating ports,
 * so this section is 60 or so pages they'll not need.  In the Handbook it
 * can be replaced with "If you would like to learn more about the ports
 * systems, or would like to create a port and submit it to the project,
 * please see the _Porter's Handbook_".

Does this mean that the porters guide section doesn't get published
anymore, or is it going to be published as a separate book?

 * I'll do this mechanically (so the translators won't have much work to do).

Thanks.  BTW, please ask the cvs-meisters for a repository copy so we
won't lose history.

 * In the future, I expect that some of the port's specific stuff in the
 * "Committer's Guide" (damn, should've called it the "Committer's Handbook")
 * can migrate here as well, as can any nitty-gritty ports details that
 * you might have thought to be inappropriate for the Handbook.

No, the (new) porter's handbook is for people creating or upgrading
ports, not committers.  The stuff in the committer's guide is
something that is specific to committers and committers are required
to read the committer's guide every now and then.  For the benefit of
people who only commit ports once in a while (and work elsewhere most
of the time), I think they should be kept separate.

Satoshi