Date:      Fri, 15 Dec 2006 10:40:57 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, kimimeister@gmail.com
Subject:   Re: Poor NFS performance after recent update

Kimi Ostro <kimimeister@gmail.com> wrote:
 > fserver:/data              /media/data            nfs     rw,-b,-i,-s,-L,noauto

A small side note (probably not related to your actual
problem):  It is usually a bad idea to use the -s ("soft")
option, because many programs are not prepared to handle
unexpected I/O errors, leading to file corruption.

The following is an excerpt from the Solaris docs, which
applies to FreeBSD as well:

 |   File systems that are mounted read-write or that  con-
 |   tain  executable  files  should always be mounted with
 |   the hard option.  Applications using soft mounted file
 |   systems  may incur unexpected I/O errors, file corrup-
 |   tion, and unexpected  program  core  dumps.  The  soft
 |   option is not recommended.

I think a similar paragraph should be added to FreeBSD's
mount_nfs(8) manpage and to the Handbook.

Best regards
   Oliver

"I have stopped reading Stephen King novels.
Now I just read C code instead."
        -- Richard A. O'Keefe