Date:      Fri, 8 Nov 96 18:02:01 -0500
From:      curt@kcwc.com (Curt Welch)
To:        Don Coffin <dcoffin@intermind.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Remapping the Caps Lock Key

Don Coffin writes:
>  I was wondering if anyone has a keyboard map file that
>  remaps the Control key to the Caps Lock key.  Failing
>  that, could you walk me through the remapping process
>  using "kcon" or something similar...?

If you are talking  X windows, then see man xmodmap for
an example for switching the caps lock and ctrl keys.

I never use the caps lock and spend too much time trying
to deal with different keyboards so I have my system
set up so caps lock and the two contrl keys all act
like control.  This way it works no matter which key
I hit.  I ended up making the keypad / key (under
the Caps lock light) act like the caps lock key.

I did this with:

xmodmap - <<END
clear lock
add lock = KP_Divide
add control = Caps_Lock
keycode 66 = Control_L
keycode 112 = Caps_Lock
END

added to my .xinitrc file.

If you want to do this outside of X, I can't help
you.

Curt