Date:      Tue, 13 Jan 1998 20:13:59 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Atipa <freebsd@atipa.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: syslog-free console/vty possible?

On Mon, 12 Jan 1998, Atipa wrote:

> On Mon, 12 Jan 1998, Doug White wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 5 Jan 1998, Atipa wrote:
> >

> > > You are right, since I killed syslog and it still came up. Is there a way
> > > to restirct /dev/console to only ttyv0 or something? That would be perfect.
> >
> > /dev/console is ttyv0 by default.  I wasn't aware you could rewire it.
> > Why not use vty1 instead?  that's what we do; we just leave the console on
> > vty1 and let the messages pile up on vty0, checking them every so often.
> > That way it lets the screensaver kick in :-)
>
> I would love to! That is the desired effect! :-)
> The problem is that my ttyv1 and v2 were also slammed. The module was the
> plain old if_de.c. 100MBit is very particular about its cabling, and it
> kept telling me:
> enabling 100TX
> de0 down. Cabling problem?
> enabling...
> disabling...
>
> blah blah blah ad naseum.
>
> If /dev/console was ONLY ttyv0 I'd be the happiest boy alive. Well,
> certainly one of them :-)

Those messages shouldn't follow you around unless you login as root all
the time.  And if you do log in as root all the time, shame on you, use
your account and `su' instead.

If you hate them, edit /sys/pci/if_de.c and comment out the printf's.
Build and install a new kernel and you'll be saved.

Or fix your cabling. :-)