Date:      Mon, 22 Mar 2004 11:41:08 -0600
From:      Nathan Kinkade <nkinkade@ub.edu.bz>
To:        "Richard P. Williamson" <richard.williamson@u4eatech.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Serial port (com1) baud rate oddity

--oplxJGu+Ee5xywIT

On Mon, Mar 22, 2004 at 04:14:56PM +0000, Richard P. Williamson wrote:
> Hello,
>=20
> I'm using 4.8 Release on an embedded pentium class device,
> and I'm having trouble with the serial (console) port.
>=20
>  From a development machine, I can 'tip com1' and get contact,
> but the data is coming out as=20
> @@@ @ @@@ @@@   @@@  @@@@@@@@@@@ @@@ @@@@@@  @@@@@ @  @ @@@
> @ @@    @@@ @ @ @@@@@ @ @@@@ @@@@@@ @ @@@ @@ @ @@@@ @@@@@  @
> @@    @ @ @ @ @@@@@ @ @@@  @ @  @@@ @@@ @@ @ @@@@ @@@@@@@   @
> @@@@ @@@ @ @ @@@@@ @@@ @@@@ @@@@@@@ @@@ @@ @ @@@@@@@@@ @@@@@  =20
> @@@@@@    @@@ @ @ @@@@ @@@@      @@@ @@@ @@ @ @@  @@ @@@   @@  =20
> @  @@    @   @ @ @@@@ @ @@@@  @@@@@ @@@ @@ @ @@@@ @@@  @@  =20
> etc
<snip>
> Also minor problem, is this the reason why I can't talk out com3:
> "sio2: configured irq 5 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0"
<snip>
> --=20
> Richard Williamson           richard.williamson@u4eatech.com
> U4EA Technologies Ltd                   +44 (0) 117 373 6760
> Bristol, UK   BS1 6PL                                  x5030 =20

tip gets it configurations from /etc/remote.  Make sure that "com1" in
/etc/remote is set with appropriate values.  The default is:

sio0|com1:dv=3D/dev/cuaa0:br#9600:pa=3Dnone:

The output above looks to me like the problem is simply with the bit
rate.  Try some other values.  You can specify them manually on the tip
command line with the -s option.

Regarding your problem with sio2, possibly your kernel is configured
specifying an extra serial port that doesn't actually exist on the
hardware?  How many physical serial ports does your device actually
have?

Nathan
--=20
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys D8527E49

--oplxJGu+Ee5xywIT

--oplxJGu+Ee5xywIT--