Date:      Wed, 2 Jun 1999 22:50:10 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Gerald Pfeifer <pfeifer@dbai.tuwien.ac.at>
To:        Thierry Herbelot <Thierry.Herbelot@alcatel.fr>
Cc:        Andreas Kreuzinger <kreuzing@dbai.tuwien.ac.at>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: authentication for nis-user fails, only local user can login

On Wed, 2 Jun 1999, Thierry Herbelot wrote:
> Just to check : did you add a line like "+::::::" at the end of your
> passwd file ?

  +::::::::: at the end of /etc/master.passwd,
  +:*::::: at the end of /etc/passwd.

as we have been using it on some FreeBSD 2.2.x boxes.

As an additional information, the crypted local passwords are DES, so it
seems that DES is operational.

What else could we try?

Gerald

PS: In case anyone wonders, I'm Andy's senior admin and we have tried to
debug the issue together before mailing -questions.