Date:      Tue, 26 Jan 1999 21:55:03 -0800 (PST)
From:      Steve Kargl <sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
To:        nate@mt.sri.com (Nate Williams)
Cc:        jkh@zippy.cdrom.com, nate@mt.sri.com, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, jkh@time.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: removing f2c from base distribution

Nate Williams wrote:

> > Just also remember that Peter will at some point be doing an egcs
> > upgrade, so if that has issues for fortran they should be worked
> > out at this time.
>
> Steven?

egcs contains g77 and egcs can be configured to be built with or
without g77.  My port of f2c, libf2c, and my new f77(1) should
not conflict with inclusion of g77.  In fact, I think g77 which
had used libf2c for its run time library has renamed the library
to libg77, so no conflict should arise.

The question is whether Peter wants to include g77, and whether
people would see this as bloat.  I know g77 outperforms f2c+gcc
on my real-world benchmarks by a significant margin.

If my port of f2c and libf2c and the new f77(1) are found to
be adequate, then a committer should remove src/lib/lib{I77,F77,f2c},
src/usr.bin/f2c, and src/gnu/usr.bin/cc/f77.  The removal of the
last directory will delete our gcc's knowledge of Fortran.

--
Steve

finger kargl@troutmask.apl.washington.edu
http://troutmask.apl.washington.edu/~clesceri/kargl.html