Date:      Tue, 06 Apr 2004 00:02:52 +0200
From:      Andre Oppermann <andre@freebsd.org>
To:        Brandon Erhart <berhart@ErhartGroup.COM>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FIN_WAIT_[1,2] and LAST_ACK

Brandon Erhart wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I am writing a network application that mirrors a given website (such as a
> suped-up "wget"). I use a lot of FDs, and was getting connect() errors when
> I would run out of local_ip:local_port tuples. I lowered the MSL so that
> TIME_WAIT would timeout very quick (yes, I know, this is "bad", but I'm
> going for sheer speed here), and it alleviated the problem a bit.

You should enlarge the local port space especially on 4.9:

 sysctl -w net.inet.ip.portrange.hifirst=10000
 sysctl -w net.inet.ip.portrange.hilast=65535

Normal is 49152 which give you only 16383 ports to choose from.  And
with the number of connections you have you're running of them because
of the TIME_WAIT states.

--
Andre