Date:      Sun, 17 Oct 2004 15:55:55 -0700 (PDT)
From:      <randall272-fbsd@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: AS1000A with Mylex DAC960 RAID-5 as only disk

--- randall272-fbsd@yahoo.com wrote:

> --- David O'Brien <obrien@freebsd.org> wrote:
>
> > On Sat, Oct 16, 2004 at 02:31:46PM -0700, randall272-fbsd@yahoo.com wrote:
> > > With 5.1 /stand/sysinstall does not list mlxd0 as device to disklable
> >
> > Don't use /stand/sysinstall.  It is a wart on our that it even exists in
> > 5.x.  Use /usr/sbin/sysinstall.  Depending on when you first installed
> > FreeBSD on your AS1000, /stand/sysinstall could be from 4.x and could
> > give you problems.
> >
> > --
> > -- David  (obrien@FreeBSD.org)
> >

> I don't know if /stand/sysinstall was the one I used initially or not, I just
> booted the 5.1-RELEASE CD-ROM and used whatever came up.  This was both
> during
> the sucessful and failed attemps to label the mlxd0.
>
> My day's work consisted of
>
> 1) find seven 4GB storageworks packs that are OK
> 2) go out to buy floppies since I couldn't find an undamaged one
> 3) write out the ra200rcu.exe ra200fl.exe and ra200srl.exe to a floppy
> 4) run the arc firmware and use it to run ra200rcu.exe
> 5) build RAID-5 device for hours-and-hours
> 6) boot 5.3-BETA7 and watch it panic
> 7) boot 5.1-RELEASE CD-ROM #1 and watch it fail to list mlxd0 as a disk
> 8) boot 5.1-RELEASE CD-ROM #2 and manually use bsdlabel, etc.
> 9) discover that CD-ROM #1 started admitting mlxd0 could be partitioned.
> 10) install 5.1-RELEASE
> 11) cvs RELENG_5
> 12) make buildworld
>
> I woke up this morning and made a stripped-down GENERIC and started "make
> kernel" on it.

--- randall272-fbsd@yahoo.com wrote:

> --- David O'Brien <obrien@freebsd.org> wrote:
>
> > On Sat, Oct 16, 2004 at 02:31:46PM -0700, randall272-fbsd@yahoo.com wrote:
> > > With 5.1 /stand/sysinstall does not list mlxd0 as device to disklable
> >
> > Don't use /stand/sysinstall.  It is a wart on our that it even exists in
> > 5.x.  Use /usr/sbin/sysinstall.  Depending on when you first installed
> > FreeBSD on your AS1000, /stand/sysinstall could be from 4.x and could
> > give you problems.
> >
> > --
> > -- David  (obrien@FreeBSD.org)
> >

> I don't know if /stand/sysinstall was the one I used initially or not, I just
> booted the 5.1-RELEASE CD-ROM and used whatever came up.  This was both
> during
> the sucessful and failed attemps to label the mlxd0.
>
> My day's work consisted of
>
> 1) find seven 4GB storageworks packs that are OK
> 2) go out to buy floppies since I couldn't find an undamaged one
> 3) write out the ra200rcu.exe ra200fl.exe and ra200srl.exe to a floppy
> 4) run the arc firmware and use it to run ra200rcu.exe
> 5) build RAID-5 device for hours-and-hours
> 6) boot 5.3-BETA7 and watch it panic
> 7) boot 5.1-RELEASE CD-ROM #1 and watch it fail to list mlxd0 as a disk
> 8) boot 5.1-RELEASE CD-ROM #2 and manually use bsdlabel, etc.
> 9) discover that CD-ROM #1 started admitting mlxd0 could be partitioned.
> [...]

machine         alpha
cpu             EV5
ident           LOKI
options         DEC_1000A               #AlphaServer 1000A 5/333
options         EISA_SLOTS=2            #exact number of slots
options         SCHED_4BSD              #4BSD scheduler
options         INET                    #InterNETworking
options         INET6                   #IPv6 communications protocols
options         FFS                     #Berkeley Fast Filesystem
options         SOFTUPDATES             #Enable FFS soft updates support
options         UFS_ACL                 #Support for access control lists
options         UFS_DIRHASH             #Improve performance on big directories
options         MD_ROOT                 #MD is a potential root device
options         NFSCLIENT               #Network Filesystem Client
options         NFSSERVER               #Network Filesystem Server
options         NFS_ROOT                #NFS usable as root device
options         MSDOSFS                 #MSDOS Filesystem
options         CD9660                  #ISO 9660 Filesystem
options         PROCFS                  #Process filesystem (requires PSEUDOFS)
options         PSEUDOFS                #Pseudo-filesystem framework
options         GEOM_GPT                #GUID Partition Tables.
options         COMPAT_43               #Compatible with BSD 4.3 [KEEP THIS!]
options         COMPAT_FREEBSD4         #Compatible with FreeBSD4
options         SCSI_DELAY=5000         #Delay (in ms) before probing SCSI
options         KTRACE                  #ktrace(1) syscall trace support
options         SYSVSHM                 #SYSV-style shared memory
options         SYSVMSG                 #SYSV-style message queues
options         SYSVSEM                 #SYSV-style semaphores
options         _KPOSIX_PRIORITY_SCHEDULING #Posix P1003_1B real-time
extensions
device          isa
device          eisa
device          pci
device          fdc
device          ata
device          atadisk         # ATA disk drives
device          atapicd         # ATAPI CDROM drives
device          atapifd         # ATAPI floppy drives
device          atapist         # ATAPI tape drives
device          isp             # Qlogic family
device          ispfw           # Firmware module for Qlogic host adapters
device          scbus           # SCSI bus (required for SCSI)
device          ch              # SCSI media changers
device          da              # Direct Access (disks)
device          sa              # Sequential Access (tape etc)
device          cd              # CD
device          pass            # Passthrough device (direct SCSI access)
device          ses             # SCSI Environmental Services (and SAF-TE)
device          mlx             # Mylex DAC960 family
device          atkbdc          # AT keyboard controller
device          atkbd           # AT keyboard
device          psm             # PS/2 mouse
device          vga             # VGA video card driver
device          sc
device          mcclock         # MC146818 real time clock device
device          sio             # 8250, 16[45]50 based serial ports
device          ppc
device          ppbus           # Parallel port bus (required)
device          lpt             # Printer
device          ppi             # Parallel port interface device
device          de              # DEC/Intel DC21x4x (``Tulip'')
device          miibus          # MII bus support
device          loop            # Network loopback
device          mem             # Memory and kernel memory devices
device          random          # Entropy device
device          ether           # Ethernet support
device          tun             # Packet tunnel.
device          pty             # Pseudo-ttys (telnet etc)
device          md              # Memory "disks"
device          gif             # IPv6 and IPv4 tunneling
device          faith           # IPv6-to-IPv4 relaying/(translation)
device          bpf             #Berkeley packet filter

Copyright (c) 1992-2004 The FreeBSD Project.
Copyright (c) 1979, 1980, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994
        The Regents of the University of California. All rights reserved.
FreeBSD 5.3-BETA7 #2: Thu Oct 17 17:35:26 EDT 2024
    root@loki.trickster.gods:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/LOKI
AlphaServer 1000/1000A
AlphaServer 1000A 5/333, 333MHz
8192 byte page size, 1 processor.
CPU: EV56 (21164A) major=7 minor=2 extensions=0x1<BWX>
OSF PAL rev: 0x1000600020117
real memory  = 266371072 (254 MB)
avail memory = 252436480 (240 MB)
cia0: <2117x Core Logic chipset>
cia0: ALCOR/ALCOR2, pass 3
cia0: extended capabilities: 21<DWEN,BWEN>
pcib0: <2117x PCI host bus adapter> on cia0
pci0: <PCI bus> on pcib0
eisab0: <PCI-EISA bridge> at device 7.0 on pci0
eisa0: <EISA bus> on eisab0
mainboard0: <DEC5000 (System Board)> on eisa0 slot 0
isa0: <ISA bus> on eisab0
pcib1: <PCI-PCI bridge> at device 8.0 on pci0
pci2: <PCI bus> on pcib1
isp0: <Qlogic ISP 1020/1040 PCI SCSI Adapter> port 0x9000-0x90ff mem
0x81810000-0x81810fff irq 0 at device 0.0 on pci2
isp0: interrupting at CIA irq 0
isp0: [GIANT-LOCKED]
pci2: <multimedia, audio> at device 2.0 (no driver attached)
pci0: <display, VGA> at device 11.0 (no driver attached)
de0: <Digital 21140A Fast Ethernet> port 0xa000-0xa07f mem
0x8195c000-0x8195c07f
irq 3 at device 12.0 on pci0
de0: interrupting at CIA irq 3
de0: [GIANT-LOCKED]
de0: DEC DE500-AA 21140A [10-100Mb/s] pass 2.0
de0: enabling 10baseT port
de0: Ethernet address: 00:00:f8:05:6d:a0
de0: if_start running deferred for Giant
mlx0: <Mylex version 2 RAID interface> port 0xa080-0xa0ff mem
0x8195c080-0x8195c0ff irq 5 at device 13.0 on pci0
mlx0: interrupting at CIA irq 5
mlx0: [GIANT-LOCKED]
mlx0: DAC960P/PD, 3 channels, firmware 2.42-0-00, 4MB RAM
mlxd0: <Mylex System Drive> on mlx0
mlxd0: 24546MB (50270208 sectors) RAID 5 (online)
ata0 at port 0x3f6,0x1f0-0x1f7 irq 14 on isa0
ata0: interrupting at ISA irq 14
ata1 at port 0x376,0x170-0x177 irq 15 on isa0
ata1: interrupting at ISA irq 15
atkbdc0: <Keyboard controller (i8042)> at port 0x64,0x60 on isa0
atkbd0: <AT Keyboard> irq 1 on atkbdc0
atkbd0: interrupting at ISA irq 1
atkbd0: [GIANT-LOCKED]
fdc0: <Enhanced floppy controller> at port 0x3f0-0x3f5 irq 6 drq 2 on isa0
fdc0: interrupting at ISA irq 6
fdc0: [FAST]
mcclock0: <MC146818A real time clock> at port 0x70-0x71 on isa0
ppc0: <Parallel port> at port 0x3bc-0x3c3 irq 7 on isa0
ppc0: Generic chipset (NIBBLE-only) in COMPATIBLE mode
ppbus0: <Parallel port bus> on ppc0
lpt0: <Printer> on ppbus0
lpt0: Polled port
ppi0: <Parallel I/O> on ppbus0
ppc0: interrupting at ISA irq 7
sc0: <System console> on isa0
sc0: VGA <16 virtual consoles, flags=0x200>
sio0 at port 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 on isa0
sio0: type 16550A
sio0: interrupting at ISA irq 4
sio1 at port 0x2f8-0x2ff irq 3 on isa0
sio1: type 16550A
sio1: interrupting at ISA irq 3
vga0: <Generic ISA VGA> at port 0x3c0-0x3df iomem 0xa0000-0xbffff on isa0
Timecounter "i8254" frequency 1193182 Hz quality 0
Timecounter "alpha" frequency 333322336 Hz quality 0
Timecounters tick every 0.976 msec
Waiting 5 seconds for SCSI devices to settle
cd0 at isp0 bus 0 target 4 lun 0
cd0: <DEC RRD46   (C) DEC 0557> Removable CD-ROM SCSI-2 device
cd0: 10.000MB/s transfers (10.000MHz, offset 8)
cd0: cd present [1256136 x 512 byte records]
Mounting root from ufs:/dev/mlxd0a