Date:      Wed, 22 Mar 2000 13:27:08 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        Vivek Khera <khera@kciLink.com>
Cc:        Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: "dangerously dedicated"

> MS> Regardless of what you think, the only correct way to divvy up a disk on
> MS> a PC is to start with an MBR and work down from there.  There is no other
> MS> way to do this properly, and to think otherwise merely demonstrates your
> MS> ignorance.
>
> Excuse me, but an MBR is not an FDISK label.  I had a system that had
> BSD/OS instaled on it with no FDISK label and it worked just fine.

The first 512 bytes of any disk attached to a PC are assumed to be a
valid MBR.  Such a valid MBR includes boot code, a table describing
four disk regions and a checksum.

This table of disk regions must be present; you cannot expect reliable
operation without it.

> Who's demonstrating ignorance here?

"It works for me" isn't even close to a valid argument.