Date:      27 Feb 2003 14:35:21 -0000
From:      charms <charms@nym.alias.net>
To:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.org, gaf@boywonder.geekazoid.com
Subject:   Re: ATA RAID Suggestions

Geekazoid and Friends wrote:

> I am looking for ATA RAID suggestions.  I have tried a Promise FastTrak TX2000
> with 2 Hot-Swap Trays.  I receive an error message that the controller does not
> support the 'rebuild' feature of 'atacontrol'.
>
> So, my question is thus...Can anyone recommend a solid ATA RAID Controller that
> supports re-mirroring on the fly?  Also, any recommendations about hot-swap
> trays/bays?
>
> Any assistance would be Greatly Appreciated!
>
> Just to be a pain, I am not subscribed to this list.  :-|  Could you please
> reply 'geeks@geekazoid.com'?

I deploy a lot of FreeBSD platforms that use HighPoint HPT370 controllers
in an *unmirrored* configuration, for end-of-the-day backups. The HPT370
allows me to reliably hot swap *identical* (i.e. ST3400021A) unmounted
drives using the following procedure:

  1) power down a drive
  2) invoke
         /sbin/sysctl -w hpt37x2.status="hpt rescan all"
     to prod the kernel into realizing that a drive is down
  3) swap the drive
  4) power up a replacement drive
  5) invoke
         /sbin/sysctl -w hpt37x2.status="hpt rescan all"
     to prod the kernel into realizing that a drive is back on line

Observation/question:

1. ATA gurus tell me that ATA detection magic only occurs during a
   hard boot. Something beyond my comprehension prevents a PC from
   recognizing an ATA drive with a different geometry "on the fly."
   Therefore, I use drives with identical geometry for hot swaps.

2. So far, /sbin/sysctl only seems to work with HighPoint controllers.
   Does anyone know of any other controller that can accommodate a
   hot swap by using /sbin/sysctl?

--
charms