Date:      Mon, 15 Nov 2004 18:10:01 +0000
From:      "Danny Browne" <danny_browne@eircom.net>
Subject:   Gnome 5th toe packages

I'm sure i'll get my head bitten off for posting this in here, but i'm not getting any replys from any of the gnome forums.

Does any 1 know what packages i need to install to get this working properly? I assumed that the gnome2-fifth-toe package would install everything it neeeded itself, but obviously not, since i had to install gnome2session and gnome2controllcenter myself from ports just to get gnome to work at all. I'm still having a number of problems with it though;

1. gdm seems not to be not starting up (and yes i have replaced xdm with gdm in my /etc/ttys)

2. Even when gnome starts up alot of the packages installed by fifth toe (such as the GIMP, gstreamer, totem and many more) are not showing up in the applications menu.

3. gaelon browser operates VERY VERY slowly

4. dialogs popup on startup displaying error messages about one of the applets gnome attempted to start on the menu bars (but only for one of the applets)

5. standard packages like unzip for tar balls are not present. if i right click a tar ball there is no unzip or extract option.

These are only the problems i have come accross in the last hour since i installed gnome so i presume there are more.

System info;

1. FreeBSD 4.10 i386
2. Up2Date Ports
3. Gnome 2.8.1
4. No previous installation of GNOME (or any other desktop environment) so no conflict there.

Does the Gnome2 package need to be installed aswell as Gnome2-fifth-toe or something?

Lastly (this may help you) BSD did not install X server when i installed the OS for some reason. so i installed it myself form the ports (XFree86-4) is there possibly a confilct between this and the XF86-3 components Gnome seems to have insatlled? Or is there some other packages from X server that need to be installed.

i'm really sorry if this pisses any1 off, i'd be quite happy to research the soloution myself, but there is basically no documentation that i can find on installation procedures/needed packages for 5th toe.

Regards,

Danny Browne

Sign up for eircom broadband now and get a free two month trial.*
Phone 1850 73 00 73 or visit http://home.eircom.net/broadbandoffer