Date:      Mon, 07 Jul 2008 16:56:33 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Sergey Babkin <babkin@verizon.net>
To:        Sergey Babkin <babkin@verizon.net>, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.org, Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Re: Proposal: a revoke() system call

>From: Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>

>If the only reason we are dicussing this, is that people find the
>magic pipe to select ugly, then I would even argue that we have not
>reached critical mass for even thinking.

Well, there are a couple of problems with magical pipes:

1. It means using 3 times as many file descriptors. (One for the original
socket, and 2 for the ends of the pipe).

2. When working with the 3rd-party libraries,  it requires a substantial rework of these
libraries. Getting a file decriptor from inside the library's implementation
and forcing it to close is a lot less invasive and can be done with a simple
API wrapper.

-SB