Date:      Tue, 23 Dec 1997 15:14:01 -0700
From:      John-David Childs <jdc@nterprise.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Multiple class C's on the same wire

On Monday December 22, 1997, Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
 had this to say about "Re: Multiple class C's on the same wire":

> On Mon, 15 Dec 1997, Chris Peltier wrote:
>

> > Hi there,

[Explanation of setting up multiple class /32's on an Ethernet
interface deleted]

> > Some other FreeBsd
> > machines on the original Class C started complaining about
> > hosts not on the network (I guess they didn't understand some
> > of the arp messages about the new class C on the same wire).
> > They complained but operated without any problems.

Yup...probbly because of the gateway on the first machine they were able
to route to the new class C even if it wasn't "by the book".

> > Livingston Portmasters on the other hand were a mess. All the
> > arp table entries (on the freebsd boxes) for the Livingstons were

ARP is classful...thus, as Doug White (in one of his dizzying spells of
helpfulness :-) wrote

> Everyone's netmasks *MUST* match.  Period.

The solution: either turn off routed completely and use STATIC routes
everywhere (including to/from the networks used by the PM's) or use OSPF.
I chose the first method for a long time until I finally understood enough
and had a spare late-night moment or two (so few customers would be
inconvenienced) to implement OSPF.

--
John-David Childs (JC612)       Enterprise Internet Solutions
System Administrator            @denver.net/Internet-Coach/@ronan.net