Date:      Wed, 16 Dec 1998 11:47:35 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Driver config

In message <199812151214.EAA05117@dingo.cdrom.com> Mike Smith writes:
: You've only used two uniquifiers, the driver name and instance number,
: but I'm wondering whether we might not want to support a more general
: mechanism where you can specify other uniquifiers for the match.
:
: eg.
:
:   driver=sio, bus_attribute=removable: powerup_on_open=yes
:
: This may also be an instance of feeping creaturism...

Hmmm.  the way that I've seen this overcome in the past is that many
things were pushed onto the fetch stack.

So that when the aha driver connected to the isa bus unit 0

device.main.isa.aha.unit0.tune_isa

would be fetched.  The specification would be

devices*aha*unit0.tune_isa: 1

And then for the aic driver:

device.main.isa.aic.unit0.force_dma
device.main.pcmcia.aic.unit0.force_dma

To force DMA for differently attached devices.

This works well enough in practice, but does lack the flexibility that
I see in your stuff.  It would likely be easier to implement.

Warner