Date:      Fri, 23 May 1997 17:41:06 +0100 (BST)
From:      Stephen Roome <steve@visint.co.uk>
To:        "Jin Guojun[ITG]" <jin@george.lbl.gov>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re. re-install/copy options - was ASUS P/I...

[relocated in chat, hope no one minds.]

On Fri, 23 May 1997, Jin Guojun[ITG] wrote:
> An option to save current configuration parameter used on one machine
> at the end of sysinstall back to the boot disk is a pretty idea. One can make
> an installation floppy with default parameter by oneself, but it is a lot of
> work. I would like to see this option in a new installation floppy.
> For individual user, this is not useful. For a cluster admin, it is very useful.

No, I think this would be useful for an individual user as well,
especially the home user. For example, at home I have W*nd**s installed
as well (it has sound support - hint hint :) ). Now that great
cornerstone of software architecture, Microsoft(tm)(rgd.)(C)(BAD) has a
nasty habit of hosing my computer down completely - nonstandard hardware
etc..

So I'm often at the stage of lowlevel formatting my (IDE) drive, which
means I have to reinstall FreeBSD as well. Okay, Windows only managed to
destroy my drive once, but it would be nice for those who wipe things
down regularly (I'm one).

How about developers who are perhaps rewriting config files and whatnot,
there comes a point when it's quicker to reinstall the lot (over the top
even) that replace individual files. Also if a boot disk could do this
then it would be easier (and less trouble) to put it in press yes and
watch TV for an hour.

> Good thought,

I think someone else thought of this (or something like it) first, damn
shame.

I'd like to write a front end to config in the style of sysinstall,
that'd build your kernel for you. Or... have sysinstall tell you that the
GENERIC kernel detected the following, but didn't find any [...] devices,
would you like to build a custom kernel and install that ??
Somehow I don't think that would fit on the bootdisk though =)

< Eeek, did I just suggest the MS "Add new hardware wizard". Ooops. =) >

--
Steve Roome  - Vision Interactive Ltd.
E: steve@visint.co.uk      M: +44 (0) 976 241 342