Date:      Sat, 24 Jun 1995 20:53:21 +0100
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@freebsd.org>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Anyone else see this with ijppp?

First off, I'm no longer using ijppp in "auto" mode as it has this
tendency to want to dial and leave the link logged in for hours at a time,
even with no traffic.  Since phone calls cost money here, I use it
by simply doing a `ppp <myprovider>' and then typing "dial" and "close"
when I want to connect and disconnect, respectively.  My question is what
I always see when I do the close, namely:

PPP ON whisker> close
write: No such process
write: No such process
write: No such process
<repeats anywhere from 3 to 6 times>

It doesn't seem to be any kind of fatal error, and the line is definitely
closed properly so I'm not really _complaining_, I'm just curious.
Any of the ijppp hackers out there care to comment?

Oh, and on the subject of ppp dialing up and staying up for hours, yes
I've set a timeout and yes I've put in a filter for dialing that blocks
pings and yes I've set `hosts' before `bind' in my /etc/host.conf so
that simple DNS queries don't trigger it.  And it still does it.. :-)

Neither of these things are show-stoppers, and I still love ij-ppp.
It's great!  I'd just like to make it a little better, perhaps.. :)

					Jordan