Date:      Mon, 14 Apr 1997 05:59:59 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        cracauer@wavehh.hanse.de (Martin Cracauer)
Cc:        jfieber@freebsd.org, www@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Comments on new search page..

> I've been talking to Wolfram, who does the new-ports and man CGIs and
> want to move them to freefall.
>
> However, what is nice about Wolframs own machine is that be has put
> together a collection of manpages from various Unix derivates. If it
> is not too slow, it may not be the worst idea to keep the collection
> on a machine where it gets maintained.

Hmph.  Well, I think having just the FreeBSD man pages be searchable
(locally) from any of the mirrors is still a worthy goal.  If Wolfram
wants to provide man page indexes for every other UNIX on the planet,
we can point to his site as an "extra."

And the more I think about "raising the bar" for www mirror
participation, the more I'm in favor of it.  I think we've played to
the lowest common denominator for long enough and it's only hurt us.

The real problem, however, is that even if we were to contemplate
doing this, there's no "cookbook" for setting up a web mirror in the
approved fashion, so the web mirrors would understandably balk at
being asked to do something that's thoroughly undocumented and close
to black magic.  I can't imagine a better use of John Fieber's (or Ade
Barkah's) extremely limited spare time than to spec out and develop a
"mirror kit" with full instructions and all the bits you need for
becoming a "full" FreeBSD www mirror.  Without that, we're screwed and
won't ever advance beyond the current state of the art.

How 'bout it guys? :-)

					Jordan