Date:      Thu, 4 Apr 1996 14:28:04 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
To:        Jason T Glick <jason@cs.cs.miami.edu>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Memory Leak Problem

On Tue, 2 Apr 1996, Jason T Glick wrote:

> I want to use Motif with FreeBSD v2.1.0.  I was told by X Inside that FreeBSD
> has a "memory leak problem" that arises when used with their Motif v2.0.  Is
> this true? And if so, has the problem been resolved?

On an "out of the box" compile, mwm does indeed leak. If the
problem is in the library, then others will as well, but I have
not run any other apps long enough to really tell.  It leaks both
with gnumalloc and phkmalloc, although it leeks a little faster
with the latter.  I have not tried it with the old libc malloc.
Regrettably, I don't have time to work on tracking down the
problem.  That said, I don't think it in any way renders Motif
unusable, but if I were a commercial organization selling it, I'd
sure want to fix it first.

The magnitude of the leak?  At startup, the vss of mwm is around
900K.  After a good heavy day of use with phkmalloc it grows to
around 4000K.  With gnumalloc it gets to about 2500K under
roughly the same use.  I just restart mwm every couple days and
its fine.

-john

== http://fieber-john.campusview.indiana.edu/~jfieber ============