Date:      Mon, 5 Apr 2004 19:09:46 -0400
From:      Rob Ellis <rob@web.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Vinum + new disk for mirror

On Tue, Apr 06, 2004 at 08:12:49AM +0930, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
> On Monday,  5 April 2004 at 12:42:12 -0400, Rob Ellis wrote:
> > We have a machine with a vinum mirror, all the partitions except
> > the root partition mirrored between two disks. The second
> > disk has died and I want to replace it. I can't find a disk exactly
> > the same, so I have a disk that's bigger (80GB, old one was 60GB).
>
> That's not a problem.  Vinum doesn't use disks.
>
> > Can I...
> >
> >    - shutdown, replace the bad disk with the bigger new disk
> >    - boot single user, mount /
> >    - copy the good disk to the new disk with:
> >       dd bs=128k if=/dev/ad0 of=/dev/ad2
> >    - vinum start
> >    - restart any stale subdisks (?)
> >    - ...
>
> You can, though you'll need a couple more steps.  But why don't you
> follow the instructions?
> http://www.vinumvm.org/vinum/replacing-drive.html or
> http://www.vinumvm.org/cfbsd/vinum.pdf.

Oops.

I guess what I was wondering about / wanted to be clear about is
whether the 'dd' of /dev/ad0 to /dev/ad2 is ok between disks that
aren't the same. I was hoping that it would copy the partition table
and boot blocks (I don't care about the extra space at the end of
the bigger disk)...

I was also hoping (blindly) that the vinum config would get copied
and that the dd of the data would speed up the rebuilding of the
mirror...

But it sounds like what I should do is manually configure the
partition table on the new disk to match the old one and then
follow the instructions? :-)

Thanks.

- Rob