Date:      Tue, 4 May 2004 13:46:02 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu>
To:        jbarbieri@metrocast.net (John Barbieri)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Question for the list about install BSD4.9 from FTP over CD

> If I were to install FreeBSD by doing FTP rather than from a disc, will I
> get updated sources
>

> EG: install 4.9 release, which doesn't support my nic right off, but there
> is an update driver that does

For the base system and source you would get whatever it was at the
time it was made in to 4.9-release.  You would have to cvsup to get
any additional updates beyond that.

Was the driver applied to 4.9 after the release? or just to current?
Just because a driver came in to being does not mean that it was
applied to 4.9.   You may need to go to 5.xxxxxx to get it.  So,
check that to make sure it got added to 4.9 before depending on it.

But, I think, and I could easily be wrong, that the ports tree that
you pull in during the install (via ftp) would be whatever is the
latest at the time you do the install and the ports you install via
the ports system would be the latest for any given named version in
the ports tree.

////jerry