Date:      Mon, 14 Jul 1997 12:02:19 -0700
From:      Pedro Giffuni <pgiffuni@fps.biblos.unal.edu.co>
To:        John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
Cc:        "Joel N. Weber II" <devnull@gnu.ai.mit.edu>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: My opinion about freebsd (fwd)

John Fieber wrote:

> > Unix is a much better platform to develop software for. At least you know
> > what is going to be in the next release.
>
> The unix world isn't immune to directional changes, witness the
> SunOS to Solaris shift or Ultrix to OSF/1.  Anybody know where
> SCO is headed now that they and HP have joint ownership of UNIX?

I went to one of their conferences: very sad show...they played this
"very northamerican" tape where they hired a comediant that makes fun of
polititians and Berkeley students.

Very simplisticly, they say:

1) They are the most popular commercial UNIX in world and now that they
own it they will keep that way by "integrating" SVR3 and SVR4.

2) NT's growth in the Internet hasn't affected them because they are
UNIX and stats show that only Novell is being affected. They also say
bet on NCs.

3) They licensed some products from M$ and they support Java and
Netscape's servers (Advanced File and Print Server). They are also
developing a 64-bit version of their OS so they have the technology
lead!

It is evident they are worried about free software; they simply don't
mention it and they released this single user versions. In short..Don't
expect anything good from them.
Curiously most commercial Linux applications are not available for SCO.
There's no Acrobat reader, no Matlab, no Mathematica... couldn't some
caritative hacker implement them an emulation module? :-)

	Pedro.