Date:      Sun, 14 Feb 2016 19:59:30 +0700
From:      Tinker <tinkr@openmailbox.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org, freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   MRSAS driver/LSI MegaRaid 92XX-93XX admin question: When one of the Raid's physical drives break, how is it reported in the =?UTF-8?Q?logs=3F?=

( ** Extremely sorry for crossposting! Was unclear where this RAID
adapter question belongs, please clarify and I'll keep to one single
list!
      Posted to all of stable@, scsi@ and fs@ .)

Hi,

When you run one of the MRSAS drives such as a Avatogech LSI MegaRaid
9361 or 9266, and then eventually one of the physical RaidDrives or a
CacheCade drives breaks, how is this reported to the FreeBSD host's
dmesg or syslog?

I don't have the hardware in place so that I would be able to check. On
the other hand someone among you may have extremely deep experience, in
particular because this card is so common, so this is why I ask you
here.

I understand that if at least one underlying copy of the data is
accessible, the RAID card will optimize all access to that one, so when
it comes to keeping IO working without interruption, the LSI card does a
great job.

At some point, an SSD or HDD will break down, either completely (it
won't connect and its SMART interface says the drive is consumed) or
more discretely, through taking tons of time for its operations.

My best understanding is that the Raid card automatically will take
those drives out of use, transparently. Now to the main point:

As admin, it's great to be informed when this happens i.e. an underlying
physical Raid disk or a CacheCade disk is taken out of use or otherwise
malfunctions.

Does the MrSas driver output this into the dmesg or syslog somehow?

Reading
https://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/stable/10/sys/dev/mrsas/mrsas.c?revision=284267&view=markup
, the card seems to have an "event log" that the driver downloads from
the card in plaintext (??), but I don't understand from the sourcecode
where that information is channeled. And also of course I can't see what
that event log would contain in those cases.

(The "mfiutil" has a "show events" argument, though mfiutil is only for
the related "mfi" driver which does not work for both 92XX and 93XX
cards. Also in this case still I'd be interested to know how it reports
a broken drive)

http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/unified_computing/ucs/3rd-party/lsi/mrsas/userguide/LSI_MR_SAS_SW_UG.pdf
on page 305, that is section "A.2 Event Messages" - I don't know for
what LGI chip this document is, but, it does not list particular event
message very clearly for when an individual underlying disk would have
broken, I don't even see any event for when a hot spare would be taken
in use!

You who have the experience, can you clarify please? Thanks :D

Tinker