Date:      11 Mar 2003 08:51:06 -0500
From:      Chris Shenton <chris@shenton.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Boot/install/config util like Solaris Jumpstart?

We're planning on deploying a handful of commodity boxes to act as a
loose mail cluster hidden behind a pair of load balancers.  They'll
have almost identical SW installs: APOP, SMTP, IMAP, LDAP.  Naturally
they'll have per-box differences, like their ethernet address, perhaps
some box-unique service like webmail.

If we were deploying on Solaris, we'd use their Jumpstart tools.  It
allows diskless booting, then automated install of base OS,
additional packages, then subsequent configuration tweaks.  Very handy
for a rack of 1U boxes.

Is there something like this for FreeBSD? Or do I have to roll my own,
most likely based on the existing dhcp/tftp/nfs diskless boot code
with per subnet and per target address filesystem overlays
(/etc/rc.d/[init]diskless)?

Thanks.