Date:      Fri, 11 Dec 2015 13:35:10 -0500
From:      Jason Van Patten <jvp@lateapex.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   New UEFI MoBo, Slow Boots in "Legacy"

Hey gang -

I'm trying to build a new router using Gigabyte's GA-H170N-WIFI board,
which is armed with a version of AMI's UEFI.  The first fail I ran into
was with the FreeBSD 10.2 EFI memstick installer.  It would page fault
during the kernel load every single time, in the same spot.  I changed
over to the non-EFI memstick, and it boots.

However... the boot time is *insanely* slow.  As in: it takes over 5
minutes for the kernel to finish loading.  Once the rc scripts hit,
everything is quite quick.  But it's that boot time that's ridiculous.
The same happens once I install 10.2 (non-EFI) and reboot using the
disk: very slow boot time.

As an important aside: I did try the latest 11.0 snapshot in EFI mode.
It boots and installs fine.  But I'm not keen on bleeding edge,
specially for a router.

So I'm a bit stumped.  Is there A)any way I can *significantly* speed up
the legacy booting, or B)any fix for the EFI boot crashing w/10.2?

Thanks.
--
Jason Van Patten