Date:      Wed, 17 Dec 1997 00:57:45 -0500
From:      Bryan Batten <BryanBatten@compuserve.com>
To:        Richard Scranton <scrantr@ix.netcom.com>
Cc:        Questions for FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: second ide controller

Fast reply again!

On  Mon, 15 Dec 1997 you wrote:

> Disk Manager is a drivbe overlay. ...

Thanks for the info.

> If you swap the IDE controllers' addresses and IRQs does the
> problem
> still occur?

Both my EIDE controllers are on the motherboard. What I did do was try the
2.1G drive on the first controller all by itself. The BIOS also failed to
autodetect it there. I did not try to install FreeBSD into that
configuration. And, again, Linux detects the third EIDE drive just fine
when its connected to the second controller, with several filesystems
mounted from logical partitions within the extended partition on that
drive. So I'm satisfied that I don't have a hardware problem.