Date:      Thu, 7 Dec 2000 18:22:53 -0800
From:      Jim Browne <jbrowne@jbrowne.com>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: More on BTX halted / crashes trying to use -stable /boot/loader

At 17:44 -0800 12/7/00, Mike Smith wrote:
>This is probably an OK workaround.  I think that there's something
>fundamentally wrong with the 'net' filesystems getting called for an open
>against a disk device, but I've paged out all the libstand state and I
>can't get it back fast enough to comment more usefully. 8(

A "better" thing to do would be for tftp_open to check the dv_type of
the struct devsw member of struct open_file to see if it is a network
device.  However, stand.h has a comment stating that the dv_type
member of struct devsw is an "opaque type constant, arch-dependant".
Since tftp.c is in the arch-neutral libstand(3), I figured it would
be bad for tftp.c to gain knowledge of the "opaque" db_type field.

Regardless, the check I added should be there as it was an uncovered
error condition.

>BTW Jim, the stuff you're working on sounds really cool.  Thanks for
>taking it on!

Apparently I am a glutton for punishment.  Expect more bugfix patches
in the near future.

Jim Browne                                                jbrowne@jbrowne.com
    "We lost our lease.  You lose culture" - sign on SF Arts Comission Bldg