Date:      Thu, 08 Jul 1999 23:40:43 -0600
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Miguel Gilly <mgilly@bonsai-studio.com>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD as Webserver (long)

Miguel Gilly wrote:

> This is a _long_ message about FreeBSD as Webserver, Hardware-Monitoring
> support and a Web based configuration of FreeBSD.

Hi Miguel.  I'm going to toss in a few comments here, but before I do,
you should go read my "opening remarks", prepared well in advance of
your message, at:

	http://www.daemonnews.org/199907/d-advocate.html

This may enlighten you a bit as to the current state of "gui admin" tools
for FreeBSD.  This is not to say that none exist, but may give you some
insight as to why the pickings are somewhat slim.

Let me add that what Sue has written on this topic covered the state of
the art pretty well.  Administering a UNIX system is much more complex
than administering a MacOS system because MacOS was designed to drive
a small computer used by "the rest of us" while UNIX was designed by
alpha geeks to serve the needs of alpha geeks.  Sticking a GUI on top
of FreeBSD isn't going to make FreeBSD easier to administer, it's just
going to make the 3 or 4 tasks the GUI is actually capable of performing
a little less intimidating to GUI users.  The number and variety of tasks
require to keep a UNIX system humming along is pretty much a constant
for any given UNIX system, and GUI-fying *all* of those tasks is a
gargantuan undertaking that even Computer Associates won't completely
bite off.

That said, you should certainly take a look at Cybernet NetMAX, which
may just provide what you're looking for.  http://www.netmax.com/

As an aside, why would a fledgling web designer determined to build
his or her own hosting service NOT want to partner with a good geek?
Geeks are people too, whether web designers think so or not, and have
many valuable traits to bring to a partnership, like being willing
to trade long hours of babysitting web servers in return for some
killer bandwidth.  ;^)

> 1. Redundant, scaleable remote webserver clustering

Got that one nailed, too.  Eddieware provides exactly this service, and
more.  Let's take it straight from the horses mouth:

	Eddie is a 100% software solution written primarily in the functional
	programming language Erlang (www.erlang.org) and is available for
	Solaris, Linux and FreeBSD, with Windows NT to come soon.

	Eddie provides advanced automatic traffic management and configuration
	of geographically distributed server sites, consisting of one or more
	Local Area Networks.

See http://wwweddie.serc.rmit.edu.au/what.html for a full discussion of
what Eddieware is, and http://www.eddieware.org/ in general for the full
skinny.  Eddieware is distributed under the Erlang Public License, which
allows you royalty-free distribution rights and the ability to combine
Eddieware into larger works.

http://softweyr.com/                                           wes@softweyr.com