Date:      Tue, 12 Dec 2000 15:30:44 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Grandpa Walrus <root@web-walrus.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Regarding Emacs port

On Tue, Dec 12, 2000 at 07:01:40AM -0600, Grandpa Walrus wrote:
> Is there any particular reason why the Emacs port insists on trying to
> build X11r6?  I was of the impression Emacs worked in text mode just fine.
> Or am I trying to build the wrong port?
>
> Any answers you have would be greatly appreciated.

To have /usr/ports/editors/emacs20 build without using the X11 interface
(yes, I know you might be surprised, but Emacs has an Xlib interface for
quite some time), all you have to do is:

	# cd /usr/ports/editors/emacs20
	# make WITHOUT_X11=yes all
	# make WITHOUT_X11=yes install

and your Emacs port will not depend on, nor build, Xfree anymore.

- giorgos