Date:      Wed, 30 Aug 2017 14:45:15 +0500
From:      "Eugene M. Zheganin" <emz@norma.perm.ru>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   zfs, iSCSI and volmode=dev

Hi,

I have an iSCSI production system that exports a large number of zvols
as the iSCSI targets. System is running FreeBSD 11.0-RELEASE-p7 and
initially all of the zvols were confugured with default volmode. I've
read that it's recommended to use them in dev mode, so the system isn't
bothered with all of these geom structures, so I've switched all of the
zvols to dev mode, then I exported/imported the pools back.
Surprisingly, the performance has fallen down like 10 times (200-300
Mbits/sec against 3-4 Gbits/sec previously). After observing for 5
minutes the ESXes trying to boot up, and doing this extremely slowly, I
switched the volmode back to default, then again exported/imported the
pools. The performance went back to normal.

So... why did this happen ? The result seems to be counter-intuitive. At
least not obvious to me.

Thanks.

Eugene.