Date:      Sun, 18 Feb 2001 09:00:01 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Suggestions for diagnosing lockups

I've got a box that's been running FreeBSD relatively problem-free for
the last couple of years. I installed 4.2-R about a week ago, and
started having lockups every night. A second box is checking on the
problem box once a minute, and logging a message if it famils to
connect. I can therefore determine that the lockup occurs reliably a
shortly (less than a minute) after the periodic daily run
starts. Running the periodic script by hand works fine. So does "make
world".

I've enabled DDB in the kernel, verified that it worked, then watched
the system freeze. However, I normally leave X running on the box, and
I got no response from DDB this morning. Am I correct in assuming this
is the normal behavior, and I need to shut down X (and probably log
out) before the freeze.

If that's not the case, and the freeze is locking the system up so
hard that I can't get to DDB, any other suggestions for debugging this
would be greatly appreciated.

	Thanx,
	<mike