Date:      Thu, 13 Dec 2001 16:39:33 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        "Mark Brown" <simm_s_list@hotmail.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: uiomove performance?

> Does anyone know if there is a significant performance gain to maintaining
> scatter/gather lists with uio rather than writing the s/g routine yourself.
>
> To be more specific:
> I currently have a routine that takes a memory segments and places them in a
> contiguous memory buffer. We need to optimize the routine for better CPU
> utilization. We currently get the memory list and organize it using memcopy.
> I would like to use uiomove but it is hard to justify the time needed to
> convert the current routine to uiomove if there is only a insignificant
> performance gain. Keep in mind this routine is being called frequently.
>
> I would like to justify to my boss that using uiomove would have significant
> performance benefits over our current routine that uses memcopy.

It's not clear why you didn't use uiomove to begin with, since it's already
written. 8)

However, you're most likely constrained by memory bandwidth, and in
that case converting to uiomove is unlikely to change things much.

It's probably a sane thing to do, however, as uiomove is pretty smart
and it will remove what is basically duplicated cod.