Date:      Tue, 19 Nov 1996 16:58:06 -0800
From:      "David L. Hodge" <dlhodge@ix.netcom.com>
To:        support@freebsd.org
Cc:        dlhodge@ix.netcom.com
Subject:   EMM386: Unrecoverable privileged operation error #00 - press Enter to reboot

FreeBSD Support,

Hello. The last time I contacted you was in an attempt to solve an
installation problem with FreeBSD and that of the COMPAQ 575-LX system.
Now I am in a new workgroup trying to introduce FreeBSD here as well. My
trouble is I'm receiving the following error message when trying to
install from the FreeBSD CDROM version 2.1.5: "EMM386: unrecoverable
privileged operation error #00 - press Enter to reboot." I'm wondering
if I tried to load FreeBSD via the use of the "makeflp" program if I'd
have better luck. I'm assuming that if I attempt the installation using
bootable floppies in order to circumvent the EMM memory problems that I
ran into when I tried to use the "install.bat" program from the CDROM
the system may let me install the operating system. The question I need
answered is how should I go about doing this using the NEC 4000 "Versa"
notebook unit? The problem that I have with the notebook is that it
allows you to use either the floppy drive or the CDROM drive, but not
both. Here is why. The floppy drive and the CDROM both utilize the same
slot of the NEC 4000; therefore, when you are using  the CDROM the
floppy drive is not inserted and vise versa.

In addition, I wanted to know if I used a FreeBSD version such as 2.0.5,
which I already have on floppies, to load the basic FreeBSD system will
I be able to then access the CDROM drive and then upgrade to version
2.1.5 and load the X-Windows portion of FreeBSD? Do you have any ideas
how I can perform this process successfully? Have you heard of anyone
successfully load FreeBSD onto a NEC notebook computer? If so how did
you get around the limitations I am experiencing?

I would like to know if you know of any FreeBSD "X" tool installation
routine available on the 2.1.5 version CDROM of FreeBSD?  What do you
think? Have you ever tried installing FreeBSD this way? What are your
thoughts on this?

Thank for your help!

Dave Hodge