Date:      Tue, 03 Mar 1998 20:52:23 -0500
From:      "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        Dennis Tenn <dstenn@fanfic.org>, Scot Elliott <scot@poptart.org>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: xntp messages in new build

> In message <Pine.BSF.3.96.980220113342.2175C-100000@fanfic.org> Dennis Tenn writes:
> : | Feb 20 15:34:16 uranus xntpd[16462]: Previous time adjustment didn't
> : | complete
> :
> : All it means AFAIK is it couldn't connect to the time server to update the
> : clock.  This happens on my system too and you shouldn't worry about it.
>
> No.  That's not quite right.  It means that the last adjustment (via
> tickadj) didn't finish slowly skewing the clock before the next one
> was requested.  I've seen this mostly when there is a largish offset
> at the start.  You can ignore these messages if you have a couple, but
> thery may indicate something wrong with your hardware (or that of the
> time server) if you get lots of them.

Under normal circumstances, you shouldn't see this out of a clock adjustment
that NTP makes.  If you are, there are two likely possibilities:

- Some other process (like timed?) did a tickadj() system call, and when the
xntpd daemon did it's adjustment, it's seeing the residual delta.

- The value of "tick" in the kernel is inconsistant with what xntpd is prepared
to deal with.  Possibly the "tickadj" program can correct this.

Generally, xntpd will perform a series of adjustments to gently slew the clock;
it's won't crank in more clock slew per interval than it believe the kernel
can actually adjust.

louie