Date:      Fri, 5 Dec 1997 16:12:02 -0700 (MST)
From:      gibbs@narnia.plutotech.com (Justin T. Gibbs)
To:        Ulf Zimmermann <ulf@Alameda.net>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FW: support for AIC 7895

In article <199712051938.LAA07942@gatekeeper.alameda.net>,
	Ulf Zimmermann <ulf@Alameda.net> writes:
>> I recently put together a system based upon the Tyan Thunder 2
>> motherboard, which has on-board an Adaptec AIC 7895 SCSI controller.
>> (This is supposed to be "equivalent to a 3940-AUW", to quote the
>> motherboard documentation.  Strangely, the Adaptec web site seems to
>> contain no info on the AIC 7895.)
>
> Which is also incorrect. All 3940[|U|W|UW] I have seen are based on the
> Adaptec AIC-7870 or AIC-7880.

I guess you haven't seen the 3940AUW.  This is a cost reduced version
of the 3940 that uses a single aic7895 instead of two aic7880s and a
Dec bridge chip.  Although cost reduced, it should offer better performance
than the older 3940 non A version.

--
Justin T. Gibbs
  FreeBSD - Turning PCs into workstations